<VV> Re: vv diff between Corsa and Monza

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Dec 22 00:23:19 EST 2005

At 03:32 hours 12/21/2005, airvair wrote:
>ALL the dealer books refer to the 500 having body color grills and the
>Monza and Corsa models having silver grills. However, some of the
>"accessory" brochures and pictures in the dealer books are retouched
>photos or inaccurate paintings and should not be relied upon.
>
>I think it's safe to say that the designers intended the above paint
>scheme, but sometimes the factory didn't always build each car
>accordingly. There have been cases of other "goofs" occurring, like
>Monza steering wheels on 500's and vice versa. Add to the repaint issue,
>and it's understandable that 40-some years later, there would be some
>confusion.
>
>For historical accuracy, I'd go with what the designers intended in all
>cases.

This is a good practice to follow when resurrecting a Vair that's
gonna get scrutinized.

The shop manual shows you what the car *should* be.    It doesn't
show the little mis-haps and coincidences that rolled off the
assembly line.    I've seen a variety of little things along the way
that convinced me that It isn't all that rare to run across a Corvair
that seems to have picked up something that didn't belong to it as it
rolled down the line... such as the wrong rear air grill or the Monza
wheel on a 500 or a chrome interior rear view mirror where a painted
mirror should be etc.

My stuff is a mishmash collection of replacement parts so don't judge
originality by anything I might drive.       ;)

tony..