<VV> Stereo speakers for LM Coupe

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 23:09:05 EST 2005

<snip>From: "Mark Emmert" <mtemmert at quixnet.net>
Subject: <VV> Stereo speakers for LM Coupe

Does anyone have any lessons learned on installing stereo speakers in the
doors of a late model coupe?  Or could you direct me to a thead this was
discussed?

Mark Emmert
66 Corsa Coupe<unsnip>

You could check the VV archives at http://www.virtualcorvairclub.com/.

I'm not a big fan of door installations.  There is very little depth
available, you have to hack the door panel and the metal structure underneath the
panel.  The obvious spot usually results in a collision with the lower end of the
windows front vertical channel, which extends to the bottom of the door. You
have to use a really flat (low mounting depth speaker) which compromises the
sound quality. Then you may have component rattles in the door itself that you
have to deal with.

Many have successfully eliminated the cowl vent function and installed
internal panels with speakers behind the cowl vent grilles.  The speakers can't be
very big - like about 5" - but if you get ones with good cone stroke and seal
them so the backsides don't communicate with the front sides, the cowl volume
provides and excellent back chamber; essentially a "free-air" chamber. The cowl
vent approach is great since it's reverseable.

The following is not the easy way, but I installed a pair of 6" speakers
vented forward to the trunk and they sound pretty good.  Both sides were tough,
but the driver's side was really difficult due to the parking brake handle
hitting the grille when it's not applied.

Take a look at what Joe Potts wrote up in the November (I think) Communique.
He did most if not all the sound from the rear deck with reportedly excellent
results.
Craig Nicol