<VV> Virus Alert -- No Corvair

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 23 14:05:34 EST 2005

Hi -- This is a mass-mailing I've been making to just about everyone
in my address book.  No, I don't think my computer has a virus, but
someone out there DOES, and is sending them to me regularly!

I've been getting regular batches of a virus via e-mail from someone
who has my e-mail address on their computer.  It's the "W32.sober.x"
virus which picks names out of e-mail address books and sends an
attachment which, if not detected and blocked, will when opened load
a copy of the virus onto the recipient's machine.

The virus is rather stealthy in that it doesn't show the source
machine's address.  It sends itself via a rather circuitous route
that masks where it's coming from, so I can't just say "Oh, that's
from so and so" and let them know they're infected.

Hence I'm sending out this mass mailing in an attempt to notify
whoever it is that they're machine is infected.

One possible clue is that I've been getting these virus laden e-mails
every day for the last few weeks.  Whoever is sending them appears to
have his or her computer on either full time or at least every day.

So I'd recommend that if your computer is acting in the least bit odd
or that you aren't sure that your anti-virus software is up-to-date,
AND WORKING, check to see if it's caused by this virus.

You can get more information on this virus by Googling "W32.sober.x"
-- the Symantec (Norton antivirus) site has a long description of it
and how to remove it.  (There are other sites as well.)

Sorry about this "spam" but I'm getting annoyed.  Besides, according
to Symantec/Norton, this virus will download a new package of
nastiness on Jan 6 that may do something nastier yet!  So please
check things out.

In spite of this, please have a Merry Christmas and best wishes for
the New Year.