<VV>Leaning out the midrange

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Dec 25 21:49:56 EST 2005

> > Readings obtained indicate the F/A mixture is consistently rich
> > (11-to-12-to-1) in the cruising range. I've gone as lean as I dare with
> the main  jets
> > (.049s), but jetting does not appear to significantly affect
> midrange  mixture.

Should. Have you checked that the PE needle is in both carbs and it drops
all of the way down ? Is quite possible that you could get better economy
from an earlier set of carbs without the PE circuit.

One was missing on my 110 when I bought it and when replaced, a slight lean
misfire (may be due to some head issues) at cruise began. Replacing the
stock .050s with .052s cleared that up The other thought is are you getting
full mechanical and vacuum advance ? At a high vacuum cruise, the flame
front expands the slowest, and you need more advance. .049 is not that lean
(and was stock on some Corvairs) to go 10% leaner than an .050, you would
need at least an .048.

If really serious about MPG this might be a good time to invest in a
quality EGT readout since as you go lean, the EGT rises so is better than a
standard O2 sensor for adjusting in the 16-17:1 range. Can also get close
with a manifold vacuum gauge you can read to an inch but when running at
the limit I would want to keep an eye on the EGT. CHT will tell you some
things but will not react as fast as EGT.

To run at the lean limit, I would also suggest a Pertronix II ignition and
coil and plugs you can gap to .060".

Running for max economy takes just as much effort as for max power (and
some things are quite similar) but the H series of carbs were not
Rochester's finest - the later primary rods and triple venturi of the M
series was much better for control and while the (M)2M(E) did not have a
lot of CFM (about 180), one on a center mount might be the way to go since
the long tubes would help atomization. Of course the real answer is direct
port injection.

Padgett