<VV> '65-69 500 owners, 65-6 Monza owners LM shifter data needed

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Dec 26 01:55:31 EST 2005

This Corsa/Monza/500 shifter question has taken on a life of it's own now.
The data is really interesting but as with most things the need for information
keeps expanding.

Two requests:
The data collection has gone well.  We defininitely have engough data from
Corsa owners.  We are a little short on 65-66 Monza shifter data - a few more
would be great.  We have only one 500 measurement but that represented a key
data point.  I'd like to have around 5-6 more and any year 500 between 65 and 69
will be useful.  Please, if you have one of these year 500's take a minute and
measure the 3-4 (or 2-3 if 3 spd) shift distance for this project.

For consistency with other data, here are the qualifications;
Car must have original unmodified shifter (any shift knob is OK, rebushed
tube is OK)
Car must have original-type transmission

Please do not submit data for a car with a modified shifter! Please note if
you shifter is sloppy or tight.

I just did four cars, it took about 15 minutes to do all four.  Here's what
to do:

1) Shift the transmisison into 3rd (2nd if a 3-speed)
2) Let go of the shifter and measure the distance from the heater distributor
(in front of radio) to the rear of the shift knob.  You will have to eyeball
the rear of the shift knob to the tape.  I was laying on the seats so my eye
was low and able to do this well.
3) Record the distance to the heater.  It should be in the 16 to 20" range.
4) Shift the transmission to 4th (3rd if it's a 3-speed) and let go of the
shifter.
5) Measure the distance from the same point on the heater distributor to the
rear of the shift knob - same way as above.
6) Subtract the numbers to find the difference.

Please report the following
Year
Model
Transmission
 3 to 4 shift distance.

Example:
 66
Monza
 Saginaw 4-speed
Good, tight shifter
4 1/8"

Thanks again for all the interest and effort,
Craig Nicol