<VV> Another '67-9 500 shifter question

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Dec 27 15:32:57 EST 2005

At 08:57 hours 12/26/2005, NicolCS at aol.com wrote:
>In the continuing quest for data...
>Has anyone on the list had a 67-69 500 with a manual transmission?

1967 500 stripper, 95/3-sp.   The car is all original/untouched
except for the repaint and the seat covers and 14" wheels (and misc
maintenance/replacement parts).    I'd given thought to putting a
4-speed Sag box in the car but it runs quite well just the way it
is... so I've left it alone.

>Do you
>recall if it had a painted shifter lever?

Black.   I also noted that it had no shift boot.   Now, this car was
relatively low miles when acquired, original rubber mats in good
shape, interior solid, etc with some sort of velour seat covers over
the original upholstery which seems to still be good from what I can
determine.   One would imagine that the car would have still had a
shifter boot if it had come with one.

Anybody know for sure if a '67 500 would have shipped with a shifter boot?

>According to all records, that model
>had the ever-popular ;-) 3881738 shifter and we are trying to figure out if
>that part number lever had a painted finish.

This shifter in the '67 appears to be identical to the 3-sp shifter
that I had experience with in a '68 500, which later got a 4-sp Sag,
original 3-sp shifter worked just fine with the 4-sp.   That shifter
was of course also black.

>The publications have no pictures
>of any 500 with a manual transmission after the '66 brochere where it was
>shown with a black finish and a black knob.

Ditto the '67 and '68 cars.   Never owned a '69 with a 3-sp manual
although there was one stored here for a few months before getting
refurbed and upgraded and shipped to Florida to go autocrossing or
something... it was a maroon '69 500, manual gearbox, black shifter
with black shift knob.   It was a mixed bag, was wearing some
900/Monza trim that a PO had installed, no real insurance that the
running gear was original either (since replaced with a modified 140
etc).    But, it had a black shifter.

>We still need shif pattern measurements for any/all 65-69 500s with manual
>transmissions.
>
>Off list replies are fine - we don't want to overload VV with this shifter
>stuff :-)
>Thanks in advance,
>Craig

...when the '67 500 gets home from work (it's a daily driver) I'll
check the shifter and report.   It has a tight smooth solid
shifter.   Clickclick.   ;)

tony..