<VV> Dipstick nightmare

Tom Wright mail2tom at vaxxine.com
Wed Dec 28 22:24:11 EST 2005

Calling the all Great and Knowing Wise Ones. Please tell me what I don't know about a simple job like installing a dipstick tube. I have (had) a new one from Clark's and I was trying to drive it in. It went about 2/3 of the way and stopped dead. Wouldn't move anymore, so I tried to convince it to go all the way to the seat. This resulted in a bent tube that now would not come out.

It seems that half the fun (?) of Corvairdom is taking things apart, putting them back together, then taking them apart again. So I took the oil pan off to get the tube out and now I have to order another one. Any tricks before I do that again?

While I am here. I am putting some of the rear components back together, and I notice the clutch cross shaft mount (the plate that goes on the car body) has a rubber cushion behind it. Mine seems to have at least 1/8" clearance. The shoulder bolts will not tighten the plate up to the body, and the plate flops around. I don't know if the PO changed anything here, or if I need a bit more cushion, or what the assembly calls for. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to All.

Tom Wright
St.Catharines
www.vaxxine.com/tomspage