<VV> Hi Po alternators

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 21:07:52 EST 2005

<Snip>
[Padgett said] So the bottom line seems to be that a 55 or 63 amp alternator
will work fine on a Corvair and there will be no fan belt issues so long as
you never try to pull more than about 45 amps.
[Bob Said] How can you conclude this when Jim Davis is pulling much greater
currents and
getting acceptable belt life?
<unsnip>

I think Padgett is on the right track.  Based on my one Corvair sample - an
average belt at the required low-tension - I saw the voltage take a nosedive
and the current stop increasing at 35 amps.  OK, so that's one data point.  I'm
sure that with a new belt you could get more current.  Jim is pulling 70 amps?
Wow, that's a little hard to comprehend.  My diesel Suburban had DUAL belts
on the 80a alternator, 120 degree belt wrap, and high belt tension.  I still
had belt slippage (squeal) at higher outputs.  AFIR, GM put dual belts on over
63a and 100a has serpentine drive.  Jim may be getting 70a, but I'd be willing
to bet the voltage isn't up and it's glazing the belt as it produces the
power.  That UV must have some pretty good wiring!
Craig Nicol