<VV> What's it worth? (65 corsa convertible)

Rich Elwell richelwell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:54:23 EST 2005

1965 Corsa convertible 107675W215977
http://richanddianne.com/corvair.html

Unfortunately, I think the time has finally come for me to give up hope and
sell this car.  Somehow seven years have flown by since I got it, and it
does not seem that things will be slowing down anytime soon (kid on the
way).  If I hold on to the car I can see myself 20 years from now with it
still sitting in the same place in my yard, completely rusted into oblivion.
The car deserves better than that.

Here's the story, I bought the car from an acquaintance that was a little
down on his luck and needed the money.  The engine had been rebuilt (Clark's
oil pan with the spacer and the fancy pickup, Clark's Valve cover, Otto
parts OT 20 cam), but assembly (sheetmetal, carbs, exhaust, etc) had not
been completed.  I began reassembling it, throwing new parts at it all along
the way.  I had the engine sheetmetal powder coated, replaced the sheetmetal
to body seal, bought new main body and engine compartment wiring harnesses,
battery cables, gas lines, electric fuel pump, alternator, high output coil,
petronix electronic ignition, plug wires from Seth, replaced just about
every hose, grommet, plug, and wire in the engine compartment.  I put in a
dual master cylinder, replaced all the brake lines, all the brake pads, all
the brake hardware (springs and such), installed new wheel cylinders all the
way around, and new emergency brake cables.  I dropped the gas tank out,
cleaned and sealed it, and installed a new fuel gauge sending unit.  I put
in all new bushings, universal joints, etc in the rear end, but never got to
rebuilding the front suspension, but it seems to be in decent shape.  The
bucket seats and rear seat back are in perfect shape, but the rest of the
interior will need replaced.

I did this all in the first couple of years I had the car, actually got it
running pretty well and drove it around a bit (no insurance or inspection,
so it was limited driving around the neighborhood).  I was at the point that
I felt the next step was paint and body work, then interior, and then time
for cruising.  Sadly, this coincided with the time that I was finishing
college, then getting a job, then building a house, etc, so there was just
never any money or time available for my project.  I would occasionally
start it and let it run for a while, but sitting has taken a bit of a toll.
The carbs will likely need to be rebuilt (at least one anyway, accelerator
pump doesn't pump).  I fired the car up a few weeks ago, but it wouldn't
idle, and wouldn't start without starting fluid.  I attribute this to the
accelerator pump in the one carb.  If I held it at about 3000 rpm it would
continue running, but anything below that and it would stall.

About the only things that I know are missing are the long pans that go on
the bottom to cover the clutch cable, shift tube, gas line, etc, the rear
seat bottom (one came with the car, it just happens to be for a coupe
(perfect black interior if anyone needs one)), door panels, and carpet.  The
mufflers are used, and the top boot is in poor shape, the top is in fair
shape, no rips or tears, and as mentioned above, the front suspension was
not touched.  Also there is rust in the rockers on both sides, and below the
windshield, not unheard of in a 40 year old car.

So anyway, what's it worth?  The car is mechanically sound (except for the
carbs needing work), but in need of interior and body work.  I'm not
expecting to get rich off the deal.  I know Corvair guys (myself included)
are generally a bit on the frugal side, but I also know that there were not
very many Corsa convertibles made, so I'm not looking to give it away
either.  I plan on putting it on ebay in the near future (although if anyone
is interested, make me an offer I can't refuse and it is yours), and I just
want to get an idea so that I set a reasonable reserve.

Thanks in advance for the input,
Rich