<VV> Modern Suspension for a Caveman

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Dec 30 13:39:46 EST 2005

At 06:12 hours 12/28/2005, peter koehler wrote:
>If you are considering swapping 1964 suspension components into a
>1960 CaveMobile, the front cross member should bolt right up.

For that matter, *any* Corvair car front suspension will bolt up to
any Corvair car, regardless of model year.   I knew somebody with a
late suspension in an early, complete with 5 lug wheels... and still
had 4 lugs in back.   I used to ask if he carried two
spares...   didn't say much about the disproportional braking he must
have experienced.    I still on occasion knock ideas around about
putting late front *And* rear suspension in an early Vair and
autocrossing it.   Obviously front is easy, but the rear?    Mig
welder, torch, much fabrication...  but the results could be well
worth the effort.

>The rear is another story. Keep the 1960 crossmember and attach the
>1964 lower control arms to it.

Far as the '64 rear suspension goes, it's not that hard to add the
"anchor" for the '64 leaf to the '60 rear swing arm.   That would
save you the effort of swapping out the swing arms.   Drill a few
holes and nut&bolt the anchor in place, or if you have a welder on
hand...  the hardest part would be acquiring the parts...  robbed off
a parts car etc.    Of course if the rear suspension is apart already
and you have the '64 swing arms in a corner of the basement... ;)

>That way you can use the '64 rear cross spring.   Remember that the
>area behind the rear seat of a 1960 is unique

...and so is the starter, for the same reason.   Solenoid on a later
starter won't fit under the rear package floor.    Don't chuck those
"dead soldier" '60 starters, folks.   Save the aluminum frame
castings.

>since it doesn't need to make room for the hot air heater system.
>While you're at it why not hide a 164 cid engine under 1960 sheet
>metal/air cleaner system for the ultimate fooler?

Been there done that, getting ready to do it again.

tony..