<VV> 1966 corsa 4-speed crunch 1st-2nd

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 31 14:50:13 EST 2005

Jim,

As you are aware, you have an "H' pattern and yes, the 2nd gear needs to
come left and back.  You are rotating the shift tube which in turn rotates
the shift selector rod in the transmission, to select 2nd gear. You are
passing thru neutral to do so, but on the other leg of the "H".  When
pulling straight back into 4th from third, you also passing thru neutral,
but you are already on the right hand side of the "H".  When you try and
pull it more or less straight, it isn't getting the shaft rotated enough to
get the shift selector forks in the trans to engage the sycnhros.  You could
try adjusting the coupler on the shift tube which goes to the trans selector
shaft.  Just a little. First I would look at the pin on the selector shaft
and make sure it isn't worn or the hole on the coupler isn't worn. As the
pin or holes get worn, the selector shaft may not be rotated enough. As you
may know, the selector shaft (in the lower front of the trans) is hardened
so don't try and drill it out bigger for another pin. Get the correct pin or
make one. there are several ways to fix the coupler holes.  Weld up, or make
little bushings.

Lastly, most of the shift towers have worn bushings which also contributes
not only to sloppy shift lever engagement, but also the amount of fore and
aft travel of the lower ball on the shift lever (and affect the rotation ).
The ball can be worn, too.

Good Luck.

Chuck S