<VV> 1966 corsa 4-speed crunch 1st-2nd

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 31 18:17:30 EST 2005

Uhhhh..... Pulling from 1st to 2nd does not rotate the shift tube. When you
are in 1st, the internal transmission shift fork has already been selected
for the 1-2 gear cluster. It's straight shot, from 1 to 2, because they are
on the same cluster. The shift fork does not rotate when going from 1-2.
I don't understand your statement  "You are  passing thru neutral to do so,
but on the other leg of the "H"."  What other leg? He has a 4spd. You are
already on the 1-2 side of the "H". Only in a 3spd does one change shifting
forks (and therefore change to the other side of the "H") when going from
1st to 2nd.
You are correct, though, that even with minimal slop in the linkage, pulling
slightly to the left and back makes the shift easier. However, my take on
Jim's problem is that the 2nd gear blocking ring is getting worn. This is
usually the first one to go, maybe because the 1st to 2nd shift tends to be
done faster than 3rd to 4th. It's harder on that particular brass ring and
therefore it wears faster.
HTH
Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.