<VV> 1966 corsa 4-speed crunch 1st-2nd

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Sat Dec 31 19:00:44 EST 2005

I agree, it's likely the synchro blocking ring but be sure to check the
clutch and cable too. Saginaws are famous for weak 2nd gear synchros- I think their
2nd gear is more massive than the previous model's 2nd gear plus the 1-2
synchro is always the first to go. I suspect the slight delay you make in your
deliberate shifter movement allows a shade more "spindown" of the rotating group
between the clutch and the 2nd gear blocking ring.  Make sure your clutch is
fully releasing before you get into the trans. (Jack up the car and see how
fast the wheels stop when you push in the clutch while idling in gear.)  If
that's OK, you might have to learn to shift more slowly or double clutch while
delaying the inevitible blocking ring replacement.  If the clutch isn't releasing
well, it may be warped or the cable may be failng
Craig Nicol