<VV> 1966 corsa 4-speed crunch 1st-2nd

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 19:29:36 EST 2005

At 06:42 PM 12/31/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:33:15 EST
>From: Jebfmc at aol.com
>Subject: <VV> 1966 corsa 4-speed crunch 1st-2nd
>To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>
>Hi Guys and Happy New Year,
>
>     Was 40+ deg. in Akron, OH yesterday so took my 1966  Corsa 4-speed for a
>drive. The
>transmission grinds going from 1st to 2nd gear unless I really pull shift
>lever rearward and to the left. I can't just pull it straight back
>like  going
>from 3rd to 4th. No grinding going from 3rd to 4th. Does this sound  like an
>internal problem (synchronizers/blocking rings) or is there some shifter  or
>linkage adjustment I could try to stop the grinding?
>
>           Thanks,
>        Jim  Bennetts

You mentioned low temperature. Do you have this problem in warm weather,
too. If not, maybe the oil in the transaxle is too thick. I have a similar
experience with a FIAT X1/9. 1-2 and 3-2 shifts are rough when the tans is
cold, but smooth out when it is warm. I am going to change to a synthetic
trans lube.

Paul