<VV> brake springs

Jim McLott Jim.McLott@DOR.GA.GOV
Wed Feb 2 19:12:21 EST 2005

Paul Michalczyk writes:

I'm rebuilding the brakes on my 65 Corsa convertible.  However, I hit an
interesting snag.  The brakes were last rebuilt professionally about 10
years ago.  Upon inspection I have found that the brake springs, that
is, the springs which retract the brakes against the wheel cylinder
actuating rods, are different on each wheel. (So much for
"professionals").  I have orange, light green, silver, and pink.  No two
are alike.  This is true for both leading and trailing shoes. However,
the color of the hold down and self adjuster springs are consistent. My
question is: what color springs do I want for the brake shoe returns?
My local brake shop says they are readily available and that the color
indicates the tension each spring can exert, I just need to let them
know.  Thanks.

--__--__--

Paul, I encountered the same situation a few months ago when I replaced
the springs and added self-adjusters to the front brakes of my 66 Monza
convertible.  The old springs were all rust colored, so I had to guess
as to where the new springs went.  If you get a private response, please
be sure to share it with the rest of us on the list.  I still need to
replace the springs on the rear brakes and knowing what color goes where
would be a big help.

Thanks,

Jim McLott
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and member emeritus of Group Red