<VV> Re: Communique & CORSA Membership

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 21:20:15 EST 2005

Bob wrote:

> I realize that the Communique is not a riveting page-turner but I am not
> able to put my finger on what it may be missing.

* Fewer event reports (not interesting unless you have actually been
there!).

* Fewer concours and competition results (not interesting unless you have
won one).

* Fewer mentions of who ate what food at what event (not interesting unless
you have eaten it!).

* More reprints of period road tests and articles.

* More photographs taken at meets (colour if the budget can run to it).

* More tech stuff (how about reprints of pages from the Tech Guide, if
no-one is forthcoming at producing them?!). Perhaps lclc could be approached
to ask which pages that are already in the Tech Guide are the ones that
people most often tell him ought to be added to it, because I seem to
remember it being a source of constant annoyance to him (and rightly so!).
If he provided a list, these could be reprinted in the Communique one by one
on a monthly basis.

* More photos with the ads (can't get my head round non-photo ads). If not
enough are booked, cut the prices - you'll get more ads anyway, so you won't
lose out.

* More handy hints (e.g. 'how to lay your car up for the winter; how to get
stains out of the seats; how to rid your car of rodent odours, etc.).
Another club I am in reprints particularly useful emails from the forum, for
the benefit of those who missed them, and for posterity for those who
didn't.

* More 'autocross driving and handling techniques' kind of thing - in
England we call it 'roadcraft', but this would be for track use as well.

* More Vair trivia (there is quite a lot of good trivia (sorry - there are
quite a lot of good trivia!) in 'The Complete Corvair...'.

* Tour notes ('lost highways of America' kind of thing) - I am always
looking for new places to drive my Vair on the (too-few) occasions when I am
in the USA with time on my hands. How about a scenic drive from coast to
coast, in sequential articles over, say, a year, and totally avoiding
Interstates? Most of the info could be pulled from the Web, if the copyright
holders were in agreement (And perhaps if they weren't!).

I do get a bit tired of reading about the 'Mid-October annual fall barbecue
at the Mall in downtown Smallville, attended by 3 Vairs, each of which won a
concours prize because it was the only one in its class'.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

Cheers

Alan