<VV> CORSA Membership

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu Feb 3 21:23:14 EST 2005

I've submitted three articles and two letters to the editor to the
Communique. Of these, both letters and one article got printed. One of the
articles not printed had PICTURES and drawings (it was a how-to article). I
believe the editor gets more material than he (can) carry. The magazine has
a prescribed size (production/cost factor), and he rejects some material.
Some of that, of course, just isn't fit to publish (possibly mine). But even
if basically fit, it can still be rejected in favor of event coverage,
which, while boring to me (I don't even show up in accounts of events I
ATTEND), it's evidently still necessary to pander to a core of old-timers
who no doubt will renew their CORSA memberships for as long as they're alive
(as will I), or their name/picture stops appearing in the Communique,
whichever comes first.
     The most-basic changes that could be brought about in the Communique
would concern content mix (say, less on events, which DO always yield
PICTURES of PEOPLE that the subjects are interested in seeing on the page,
and more how-to articles) and/or an increase in the size of the book. I've
always voted for entertainment/literature, like February's "I Love My
Hobby," the only part of that issue I read other than Tech Tips.
     Testimony that the magazines of other marques are not notably better is
correct in my experience.
     The magazine does have to cater to a very wide range of interests
within Corvairing, and for that matter a rather wide range of types of
vehicles (trucks, vans, station wagons, convertibles, coupes, sedans, and
sand rails, not to mention boats).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C