<VV> Corsa Membership

Tareece at aol.com Tareece@aol.com
Fri Feb 4 01:00:51 EST 2005

Bob.. I don't know about you...But the age of the classic CORSA member will
be around 120 by the time 2050 rolls around.
       If its only 400 since 2000, fine...But the members will age out and
the vehicles will crumble way before your 2050. I am saying that without a
concentrated effort to reenergize the club and appeal to others to replace the
core, the club is doomed to an accelerated membership loss over the next 5-10
years (these dates are arbitary and surely not scientifically based seeing how I
don't have the actual demographic information for the club at large). But they
can be arrived at by the logical conclusions from the apparent ages of
individuals populating local clubs, pictures published in 'Que, and common freekin'
sense.
     Most of the charter members of CORSA were well into their 30's (My Dad
was 45 when he helped organize CORSA NC and Classic Corvairs of WS) in the
founding decade of the 70's...Add 30 for the time elapsed to the present day and
thats a population of 60-75 year olds.
     Not exactly the demographics that a hobby club would look to if they
envisioned long term survival (not to even ponder growth).
     And surely the club will die even with a valiant effort for increased
membership. Parts and car viability will see that the club will be relegated to
just a few examples of our favorite make.
    I think we are on the same page Bob as far as coming up with ways to keep
CORSA viable. BUt again, when a west coast vendor had 20,000 member customer
list (back in 2000), it speaks poorly of CORSA  in either a marketing area, or
in a benefits to cost perception when they can muster just 5000 members.

Todd Reece
65 Monza Convert