<VV> brake drums for my Corsa

kenfran at comcast.net kenfran@comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 02:12:47 EST 2005

I have discovered that the drum is the same as on a lot of larger GM cars
(Chevelle, etc.) at 9 inch diameter and 2 1/2 inch width. I don't know how
well the '65 Corsa stops with stock brakes because I bought the car without
a master cylinder or a fuel pump, so it neither goes or stops yet. Planning
to convert to dual master cylinder (and electric fuel pump) since I gotta
get new ones anyway. I have never been satisfied with the braking on my '66
Monza, even after new or rebuilt wheel cylinders on all wheels, new brake
lines, new shoes, and turned drums. I have never checked stopping distances
on it though, but I can't lock up the brakes, and it just feels like it
should be more. I want to autocross the Corsa, so I wanted the best possible
brakes. The aluminum drums would be great, and I could always switch them to
the Monza if I did something radical (like disc brakes) with the Corsa. I
think there was an article from the Communique about mettalic linings and
the aluminum drums, but I need to access the archives to find it. What
linings do people generally regard as the best stopping power (not
neccessarily the longest lasting) for Corvairs?