<VV> brake drums for my Corsa

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Fri Feb 4 04:51:49 EST 2005

A completely stock Corvair will outbreak virtually any car of the era (and more than hold its own with new cars). If you can't lock up all four brakes easily,
then you need to fix something. With all new parts I can't tell you specifically what, but something is not right.

The Corvair is seriously overbraked (as compared to other cars from the era) and has so much reserve capacity that even stock shoes work well.

That being said... my opinions of the different shoes I have used:

1. Stock. Very good overall, low effort, low noise, low drum wear. Good when wet and cold, not so great when really hot. They are prone to fade in high
use situations.

2. Kevlar. I use The Source street kevlar in all of my street Corvairs. Even better than the stock shoes when cold and wet and MUCH better when hot.
You're not going to get fade except in a track situation (in my exeprience anyway) and even on the track they are fine for all but the fastest drivers.

3. OEM metallics. Horrible when cold but exceptional when hot. I will not run these on the street.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD