<VV> CORSA/Freeloaders

Levair at aol.com Levair@aol.com
Fri Feb 4 15:59:41 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/3/05 11:55:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, SPYDER62@aol.com
writes:

<< way.  I haven't joined because 35 bucks is a lot of
 > money, and honestly, >>

   First,
  There is nothing wrong with the Communique. I cherish and save each issue.
The articles are from VOLUNTEERS .
  What is the price of any other magazine that deals with Corvairs? Wait,
there isn't any other magazine!
   Thirty five dollars is nothing. Eating out with your wife is more than
that. Joining SCCA is $75. Any major autocross is $40.
    I'm sick and tired also of hearing about the cost of the banquet.. It
isn't the meal; it's being with and recognizing your's and your peers
efforts---small price for spending the week being entertained by builders who have spent
10s of thousands with nothing expected in return except a little appreciation
from their peers for the free entertainment.
   I have spent about $10, 000 in the last two years preparing my latest
Corvair. No part was less than $35.
   Yet ,I give away pictures ,to watchers, of this project for nothing. So do
the rest of you builders and preparers..
  We live in an era of expecting something for nothing. We steal from
profession musician's  income by downloading their music for free. It is no different
from stealing from the candy jar at a store, just because it's there.
     Musical cafes and entertainment bars have trouble making it because
watchers sip from one drink all night  to get the entertainment free. To
counteract this they institute a "cover charge" . So what if it drives the non payer
away. They weren't contributing anyway.
   So our $35 is a "cover charge". It amounts to 67 cents a week  cover at
the local bar.
   I've unconciously surrounded my self with doers rather than watchers and
don't become aware of the "free loader" scenario until it's mentioned by
others.
   It's correct and natural to be friendly to everyone and to welcome
everyone to our hobby. However, every thing that you learned about your specialty was
at some cost to you. It's not unfair or selfish to think twice before giving
it away to someone who hasn't paid the "cover charge".
   The receipt # for my "cover charge" is right on the front of my Communique:

    LEVEWAO
    Warren