<VV> An interesting thing.....

Dave Morris BigD@DaveMorris.com
Fri Feb 4 17:46:32 EST 2005

Yes, there are a large number of us building airplanes powered with Corvair
engines.  In fact, the Pietenpol was maybe the first airplane designed to
be used with a Corvair engine decades ago. Some of us are putting Corvairs
in airplanes designed for 1800cc VW engines or O-200 Continental aircraft
engines with great success.

We paint the pushrod tubes white because Richard Finch in his book "How to
keep your Corvair alive" suggests that as a way to prevent leaks around the
o-rings.  Almost ALL of us are painting them white.

I have photos of my Corvair conversion to an aircraft engine here:
http://www.davemorris.com/PhotoViewer.cfm?Subdirectory=Dragonfly%20Corvair
And the authority on the subject is here: http://www.FlyCorvair.com
Another very cool web site with EXHAUSTIVE Corvair engine rebuild info and
photos for an aircraft: http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/

As a general rule, airplane builders are looking for LM 110 non-smog core
motors (with 8409 crank) for $100-300, so if you have any lying around,
there's a market for them.  We're gonna tear them completely down and put
forged pistons and OT-10 cams in them, so condition is relatively unimportant.

Dave Morris