<VV> RE: White pushrod tubes

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130@cox.net
Fri Feb 4 23:09:58 EST 2005

I would think there is a significant amount of radiant heat from the very hot cylinder heads that are pretty close to the tubes.  I would agree that the main source of heat to the tubes (especially near the outer o-ring) is conductive heat transfer from the heads.  Unless the tubes only contact the heads THRU the o-rings (no metal-to-metal contact) - if that were true then I think the main source of heat transfer to the tubes might be the radiant heat from the head. (The o-rings would act like insulators).

Finch recommended painting the outer half of the tubes (near the heads) white and not the inner part (near the block)(at least in my old version of his book).  The block (metal) would be relatively cool compared to the cylinder head (metal). The oil temp probably averages out since it's always on the move.

mike