<VV> White pushrod tubes-a short story

Frank F Parker fparker@umich.edu
Sat Feb 5 01:16:26 EST 2005

> Actually, a MUCH better way would be to take a very thin piece of stainless
> steel shim stock, and make a heat shield adjacent to the exhaust tube, tack
> welded to the pushrod tube. Something simple, half round, tacked in two places,
> with even the bare minimum of an air gap will provide FAR better heat
> protection than any coating.
> John

Amen.

I made a similar shield out of thin ss sheet moulded to clamp to header
pipe with ss tiestraps and an airgap of 1/2 or so to keep heat away from
some nearby electronics/pump and it worked very well. Reduced radiated
heat by a big %.

Second- I wanted to measure the turbine backpressure in a exhaust
crossover before the turbine inlet of a TE60 turbo but the question was
how to connect a tygon or rubber line and not have it melt. Solution was
to use a 0.005 wall ss tube that was 1/8 in dia and was connected to
crossover in 1 of 2 ways. Either a compression fitting to a 1/8 pipe
fitting welded topipe or the same 1/8 ss thin wall tube silver soldered to
a hole punched in a hose clamp projecting thru slightly, then inserted
into a 1/8 hole drilled in crossover pipe then clamped down. The thin wall
ss tube ( the thinner the better) transmitted so little heat down the tube
from the 1500 deg exhaust flowing thru the pipe, that only 2-3 inches down
the tubing it was cool enough to hook up a piece of tygon tubing that I
ran to pressure transducer.

Got a chance to get some thin Titanium sheet and it transmits even less
than stainless if your local metal shop has scraps now and then.

regards,

frank