Fwd: <VV> Suggestions for after market wheels - more

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sat Feb 5 11:02:59 EST 2005

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Bruce Schug <bwschug@charter.net>
> Date: February 5, 2005 5:01:38 AM EST
> To: Poppsmail@cs.com, Virutal Vairs <virtualVairs@corvair.org>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Suggestions for after market wheels
>
> On Feb 4, 2005, at 9:25 PM, Poppsmail@cs.com wrote:
>
>> I am in search of after market wheels and now that I have been
>> educated on
>> backspacing and such (thanks to all who responded) I am looking for
>> suggestions
>> on after market wheels,
>>
>> My baby is a '65 Monza convertible 140.   I believe I will go with an
>> 14 x 6
>> wheel.
>>
>> I prefer the look of the Crager SS but can only find 3 3/8 backspace
>> on a
>> 14x6 or 4.25 on 14x7.
>>
>> Any suggestions out there?
>>

> Wheel choice is a very personal thing. What looks good to one, is ugly
> to others. Still, a few wheels stand out. The Cragars you mention have
> never been my favorite, but they do look very "correct" as a period
> aftermarket wheel. I remember when it was cool to run a Cragar on the
> front and a wider chrome reversed wheel on the rear. Some drag racers
> ran this, so it became cool to run on the street.
>
> Another wheel whose looks have stood the test of time and which many
> would concur is one of the most beautiful wheels ever put on a car is
> the old Chevrolet Rally wheel. These are available in a wide variety
> of sizes. Painted black or to match your car or even contrast with it
> and with the chrome center caps and beauty rings these look great on
> any Corvair. The Olds variations look good too, but my favorite is the
> original Chevy wheel.
>
> You didn't ask, but I'll mention that 205/70-14 tires are a good
> choice for 14" wheels as they are the same diameter as original
> Corvair 7.00-13 tires. If you want a lower, wider tire, many run
> 215/60's and even wider on the rear. For instance, if you'd like a
> little rake, try something like a 215/60 on the front and a 235/60 on
> the rear. This will lower the front nicely, while the rears will be
> just a tad smaller than stock, but fill the wheel well nicely.

I should add, another wheel that is a real classic and looks good on a
Corvair is the old American Racing Torq-Thrust. There is the original
Torq-Thrust "D", which Jeg's lists in a 14 x 6 size. There are other
styles of Torq-Thrusts, but Jeg's shows only this one in a fourteen.

They show a Cragar S/S in 14 x 6 and 14 x 7.

You'd have to check to find the offset on these.

Jeg's shows a Wheel Vintiques brand Camaro-style Rally wheel in 14 x 6
with 4" "rear space", 14 x 7 - 4", 14 x 7 - 4 1/4", 14 x 8 - 4", and 14
x 8 - 4 1/2".

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina