<VV> Engine misfire - coincidence or ...?

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 5 17:43:19 EST 2005

Well, you could try the timing light on a different car.  That way you can
either rule it out or go get a different one.

If the harmonic balancer is going away - you can normally SEE that.  The
marks will no longer be in line or the rubber will be squishing out from
between the inner and outer portions.

Could the cause of the belt flipping be related to either the idler pulley
or the alternator?  That should be easy to check.  Or, maybe it flips when
the backfire occurs?

My cars all have points.  Can't comment on ignitor question.

Sounds like carburation to me.   The backfire.  A piece of dirt in one of
the carbs - floating around and blocking things off momentarily?

But could be a ton of other things.  Do the problems come after driving a
while or right away?  I'm thinking coil with that question.

Later, JR