<VV> Another Q about shrouds

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Sun Feb 6 00:54:19 EST 2005

To chime in on this subject - From all I can gather, if your ambient
temps are over 80 degrees then there can be a noticible benefit to
removing the lower shrouds (I do it myself on most of my summer
Corvairs). BUT it should not be understated that having them off when
the temps are lower than that, not only provides no benefit, BUT can do
bad things to the engine. If it's under 80 degrees (like right now in
Oregon) the shrouds NEED to be there. Not only will the heater work very
poorly but the engine will almost NEVER reach proper operating
temperature. That means you'll build up deadly moisture in the engine
and reduce your lubricating efficiency.

A comment was made that if you disabled the cooling system on a Corvair
engine the engine will eventually overheat, no matter what the ambient
temp - and that is true. The implication being that haveing the lower
shrouds off - even in cold weather - will not prevent the engine from
warming up - eventually. Not true. The lower shrouds have nothing to do
with the cooling design of the motor. The lower shrouds serve as 1)
heater collection boxes and 2) the most efficient method of heat
re-circulation in cold weather. How do we know they are needed in cold
weather? Because on most Corvairs if it's under 60 degrees ambient you
can run the car all day and neither of the damper door t-stats will ever
open.

When it's cold - no heat recirculation - no proper operating temps.  Lon

www.corvairunderground.com
PORTLAND IN JULY!   www.corsaoregon.com