<VV> VV & non-CORSA=Freeloaders??? Ya got it all wrong!

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sun Feb 6 09:27:44 EST 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 10:42 PM, NicolCS@aol.com wrote:

> Those who feel that non-CORSA members who visit VV are  freeloaders
> HAVE IT
> ALL WRONG!   VV is the window to CORSA and  the Corvair hobby and it
> has been
> shown to be the #1 strategy for acquiring new  CORSA members.  Imagine
> being
> "out in the cold" and suddenly finding out  about VV.  Imagine how
> reassuring it
> would be to know that anything you  need to know about our unusual
> cars can
> be had easily; usually within a matter  of minutes. All the great and
> helpful
> members and vendors on  VV, with their aggregate knowledge and
> friendliness, is
> the BEST tool  for enticing new prospects into joining our club.  To
> close VV
> to the  public would be a HUGE mistake and would likely cause a steep
> reduction in  new members.

You may be right. It just seems to me that CORSA shouldn't give things
away; not when the budget is so tight that they are talking about how
they are going to balance it.

I thought a good solution was to give people free access to VV for a
limited period of time, maybe 30 days, then require a CORSA password.
That way, they'd have the opportunity to see what's going on in VV and
to experience some of the benefits of CORSA, but not continue to have
access to it for free.

I know Bryan is against this; he feels VV should remain free and open.

To me, VV is like a piece of shareware software, or better yet,
software that expires after a trial period.

I think that with a tight CORSA budget, it's hard to ask CORSA members
to support a free email list for non-members who choose to remain non
members and won't financially support the hobby.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC