<VV> Late heads on 64 engine???? (No Communique)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun Feb 6 20:45:50 EST 2005

No, you aren't digging a pit.  The '69 heads will bolt on to the '64  engine
if you shim the barrels.  The only other difference is that some of  the upper
shroud bolts will have to be enlarged to match the larger threaded  holes in
the top of the cylinder head.  In my experience, machining the  gasket
register down to the level of the step and then opening up the combustion  area to
about 50cc (to retain 9.25 cr) and using .032 copper head gaskets will  retain
or improve your engine power and eliminate knocking.  I put together  a 110 GB
once at 10:1(hard to do, not recommended); it ran like a rap.. ape and  didn't
ping.  Lowering the compression will work but that approach comes  with a
loss of power.
Craig N.

<snip>
If I put a set of 69 smog heads on my 64 Greenbriar  (110/pg) to
lower compression for knock avoidance, I understand I need to put  a "sleeve"
of coffee can around the cylinders to center the heads and (I  Think) use
late head gaskets but what about the Top shroud?  Do I have  to obtain a top
shroud from a late engine?  Does this change the  relationship of the fan
bearing height? Am I digging a pit here? Everett  Wilson <unsnip>