<VV> An interesting thing.....

Dave Morris "BigD" BigD@DaveMorris.com
Mon Feb 7 04:48:25 EST 2005

I'll concede you are more correct about the Pietenpol.  What I should have
said was that the Pietenpol was one of the first airplanes to popularize
the use of Corvair engines decades ago.  People are still building them and
putting Corvairs on the front.

I'm not sure I'll concede the point on the purpose of painting the outer
half of the pushrod tubes until I have a chance to go out to the hangar and
look at my Finch book.  But I do not believe he stated it as being
primarily for cooling the oil, because there are more sophisticated ways of
doing that with external oil coolers.  I am pretty sure that was in a
section entitled "how to prevent oil leaks", but of course, my memory could
be off.  Of course if it reflects heat, it is also keeping the oil cooler
at that point in the system.  But I would think if your purpose was to
lower the oil temps by 10 or 20 degrees, you'd probably use an oil
cooler.  I just know that virtually all of us who are rebuilding Corvairs
for our airplanes are painting them white.  Of course, the white paint is
most effective at reflecting visible light, and heat is a different
wavelength, so it is possible that our white paint is not doing that great
a job at infrared wavelengths.  But it is a sound principle, and those who
have flown airplanes that way say that, at the very least, it doesn't hurt
anything and probably helps.

I am a bit surprised that Finch doesn't seem to have much of a following in
this group.  I found his book to be full of practical ideas and easily
readable.

The idea of coating the exterior with a high temp RTV is interesting to
me.  I wonder what sort of insulative properties it really has.  I like the
idea of wrapping the tubes with a heat shroud, too.  But that may be
killing gnats with a cannon.

Dave Morris