<VV> Re: Membership

vairologist at juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon Feb 7 20:57:46 EST 2005

Smitty says:  Have been a member of CORSA since 77-78 and will be untill
I can't read.  A few years ago when I realized that some of my older
friends were dying (that make you happy Bob) in their 70s, I decided that
would not be my fate.  I have not had a birthday since.  I was 69 on my
last birthday.
        Ran into a situation that I thought I might share on one of my
cars.  Problem was and has been for years that when pressing the gas at
any speed from 15 to 75 or better that the engine would momentarly die.
Same when backing off the gas from a cruise speed(at any speed).  I
rebuilt the distributor with new bushing, points plate, points, and all
related goodies.  Same problem.  I knew it wasn't carbs but I rebuilt
them anyway.  I ran all kinds of electrical tests including the pigtail
and put a ground wire on the points plate (even though I knew it read
good).  Put a Mighty Vac on the vac adv many times and watched for
electrical shorts and opens.  I hate shotgunning with a passion but I
finally slipped in another distributor and the car ran fine.  Now I knew
it was in the distributor but problem still not solved. Worked the dist
on the bench again, checking everything I could think of.  Rechecked
where advance started and when it quit.  Watched the advance action for
smoothness.  Even pulled the unit off and staked around the hole to take
out loosness at the points plate pin.  And then I saw it.  Aren't you
guys proud of me?