<VV> Vair demograpics..

Ryan Verthein chevyd51@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 06:04:16 EST 2005

I know My dream vair is worth some waiting.  I've
never driven, or ridden in a Corvair in my life.  I
bought mine without seeing it in person, and I've only
ever heard one running once...it was an early...don't
remember which motor though.

I love the car for everything it is...it's two
firsts(independent suspension, and one of the first
ever prod cars with a turbo option)  and it's
beautiful.  The car has great lines, and an AWESOME
interior...I love the feel of it...kinda feels like a
small muscle car(of which I've never owned, but have
sat in, if that counts)

The whole concept of the car is just so awesome, and I
tend to like more unique and obscure things, so it was
a perfect thing to get into.

What really got me interested...the first day i
decided to look up Vairs(my dad did the crown
conversion in a 66 er 65 monza, and he has pics, so I
decided to look this car up one day out of the
blue...)  and I found myself parked at Norm Witte's
site....I read through his entire Legends of the
Engine Compartment, and tinkering(at least as far as
he had gotten, at the time) and was just so...in love
with this awesome car.

So I came on here and asked around.  Dale Dewald had
one for a reasonable price, and sent me some pictures
and I decided I had to have it.  So he drove all the
way here(Grand Rapids Minnesota), from the upper pen
of Michigan to bring me the car.  I was immediately
smitten with this car...and I'm pretty much obsessed
with it for the last 4 months of my life.  I hung
pictures up at my previous workplace of Norm's and my
own car, along with a little fact sheet about the car,
to remind me of what was waiting for me on the
weekends(I had been in the Twin Cities, but I'm back
up north now).

All in all, I guess I'd just say, the car grabbed me,
and I was willing to follow it anywhere...so I have.
and here I am restoring a groovy 65 Turbo Corsa Coupe
(which will probably be a 140 soon...I'm not sure...)
back to basically original, and enjoying the
completely awesome people that i can share this whole
thing with.

Whcih by the way is a whole completely different side
of why i love this car.  it's the community the car
brings you to.  All of the people I have met have been
SO helpful and knowledgable...and so many people have
great stories...like driving so fast the front end
lifted up on a late with an original front
spoiler...things like that.  hands down, I've never
been into somthing that the people have been so
knowledgable, nice, and supportive about.

By the way, Thanks everyone for being so helpful.
Ryan
65 Corsa Coupe

P.S. hope I didn't take up too much bandwidth there...

> OK...I am seeing a pattern here.....
>    Several Newbies have joined CORSA and have bought
> parts...but have never
> driven a Corvair...This strikes me as odd and
> unusual...
>     One of the acknowledged traits of Corvairs is
> that they DRIVE differently
> than other auto's. I'm just wondering about what if
> the member doesn't like
> the characteristics of the Vair?
>     How many members joined before owning a
> Vair...And how many b4 actually
> driving it?
>    This (along with the age thread) makes for great
> demographic
> information...I hope someone is keeping track....
>     More power to y'all, and I hope your dream Vair
> is worth the wait.

=====
And If I run away, would you bring me back to cloud 9?  S.O.C.