<VV> Newbies who've never driven a Corvair

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty@aol.com
Tue Feb 8 15:30:44 EST 2005

I guess once upon a time I, too, was a newbie who'd never driven a Corvair.
My big sis did buy one as her first new car in '63 but traded it in on a '68
'Vette long before I got my license.  The 'Vette, BTW, was stolen 2 months
later from our driveway.  Anyway, my first car was a '66 Renault Caravelle--sorta
Renault's answer to the VW Karmann-Ghia.  Rear-mounted in-line water-cooled 4;
swing axle rear suspension with rebound straps and a front stabilizer bar.
Great minds think alike:  larry and Marybeth claypool have one.  Anyway, I was
used to riding in Corvairs and driving rear-engine cars with swing axles.
Come the '80s I decided I wanted a Corvair all my own.  First, I joined Corsa.
Then I bought my Corvair:  a '66 Monza convertible with 140 and PG.  Turned out
to need more work than I was capable of.  About the time it got out of the
shop I went in--with a nasty hernia!  Never drove that one very much.  Then I
moved to NJ, in the shadow of Manhattan.  Not much garage space in the New York
metro area so I made do with my Corvair model/toy and sales lit. collection.
Kept up my Corsa membership, though, and looked forward each month, as I still
do, to the arrival of my communique.  Finally bought a nice, drivable '63
Monza convertible around '96 that I still have.

Oh, and since everyone just HAS to know, I'm 46.  Glad to be old enough to
remember as a kid standing on the Chevy dealer's lot and looking at row after
row of brand new Corvairs!

Bill Stanley