<VV> Doors

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue Feb 8 21:24:15 EST 2005

At 09:35 hours 02/08/2005, Mike Stillwell wrote:
>--- Tony Underwood <tonyu@roava.net> wrote:
> > Don't forget that the '67 doors which share the
> > hinge configuration with
> > the '68-up doors but the '67 doors don't have the
> > same handle layout inside
> > as the later doors... and in fact have the same
> > inner sheet metal panel
> > layout as the '65-'66 doors.
>
>  Tony, if you look at the hinge area of the inner
>panel, you will see a different configuration for the
>'67 and later style hinges. Unless you could make an
>adaptor hinge (1/2 '67+ later and 1/2 '66 + earlier),
>you can't swap the doors.

That was the idea...   you can finagle a hinge and make it work if need
be.   Or, modify an earlier door...  which I did once with my old buddy
Dallas Mangus, not much fun.  I mean, Dallas was a fun guy (OK watch it,
not that sort of fun) but the door mods weren't.   Anyway, the car ended up
with a door on it that actually fit even if it didn't have quite as many
bolts in the hinges...

> > All the late Vair doors will effectively
> > interchange, meaning they will
> > actually fit the cars, if you address the hinge
> > issues etc

...meaning that you can fit an earlier door onto a '67 if you
wanna...   but you have to do something about hinge conflicts.   The hinges
themselves don't readily interchange but can be modified...   as can the
doors.    In other words, there's always a way.

>but the inside
> > panel layouts are different in '68-up doors.

...which might be the alternative to work with if you can't find another
'67 door and you really need one.    An earlier '65-'66 door *can* be made
to fit.

But if at all possible, avoid the hassles and find another '67 door if
that's the one that's needed.    Fortunately, the '67 coupe here has fine
doors, no problems.   By the way, I know where there's a '67 Monza 4-door
available here in town (Roanoke VA) if anyone would be interested... it's a
project for sure, mechanically likely OK but cosmetically it's in
need...  some rust in the usual spots but nothing structural that I could
see, a few dents and dings, not bad but needs addressing, paint is shot as
is the interior.    The car's driveline (110 PG) seems pretty good,
glovebox contains a couple decades worth of maintenance receipts including
what looks like every state inspection  receipt since the 1960s.    It
looks like it would be a driver with just a little refurbishment but it's
ugly.   The current owner wanted 600 bucks last time I argued with
him...   after an offer had been made ($250) and he insisted upon that 600
buck figure which I felt was too steep for such a project... so I offered a
sidebar suggestion to call if he changed his mind...  about a month later
there was a message left on the answering machine from him, asking if there
was still interest in buying the car and if so to stop by and talk.

So, we went down and talked and he insisted on 600
bucks.    Again.    After I'd already  told him it wasn't worth that... and
showed him the '67 coupe outside that was had for 150 bucks... which
certainly was an example of extenuating circumstances but I wasn't telling
*him* that since he's not a Vair guy, just somebody looking to make a quick
buck on something he thinks is a goldmine.    In any event, after we
rehashed the position of his calling back IF he changed his mind and agreed
to sell it for less... we reiterated that it's only worth around 250-300
tops whereupon he stated "no way" and that he could get a lot more for it
on E-Bay.     We waved bye bye and left, wishing him good fortune.

Next week, sure enough the car ended up on E-Bay with a starting bid price
of around 400 bucks or thereabouts IIRC...  with photos.    It didn't get a
single bid.   Maybe if he'd taken the trouble to clean some of the crud and
filth off it and pump the tires up it might have attracted some
attention...  but that would involve some work and I don't really thing he
wants to be bothered.

A week or so ago, the city "orange stickered" the car which was still
sitting at the back of the parking lot of the auto parts store where this
fellow works.   It then got moved back behind the store behind the loading
docks out of sight...  so  who knows, maybe it might be available now for
less.

Or, maybe he's just gonna let it rot into the pavement or sell it for scrap
if he can't get the 600 bucks he insisted it was worth.

...I think he doesn't like me much or something because I used to hang out
with his wife back in the mid 1970s, before he ever met her...  she was a
next door neighbor when we still lived at the old family homestead etc, her
brother married a cousin of ours and her grandfather the local barber used
to cut my hair and everybody knew everybody etc.

Maybe I should stop in and say hello...   check on that '67 4-door again
and offer 200 bucks since it's been sitting yet another year anna half now
and likely "worth even less than before".    ;)

tony..