<VV> Electrical questions

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue Feb 8 20:36:19 EST 2005

Andy, Please see below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 2/8/05 12:01:39 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
akinzelm@greatnortherncorp.com writes:

> 1 - I want to put a fusible link into the main power wire.  However, I went
> to the auto parts place, and the FLs they had only had the wire gauge
> listed; no amp rating.  Any recommendations what gauge wire fusible link to use?

I don't think that a fusible link is what you want to use. First I really
doubt that they come in amperages high enough. Second, if it ever burned out, you
would be stuck where you are. Get a fuse type system. Use a fuse rated at
about 30-40 amps unless you have a huge electrical load. If a fuse blows, you can
have a handy replacement with you.

> 2 - I am doing some rewiring by the engine.  A non-Corvair guy recommended a
> ballast resistor that feeds the coil 'about 8 volts'.  Is that correct, or
> should it be 6 volts?

What you want is a ballast resistor that has 1.8 ohms of resistance for a
normal setup. Don't worry about what voltage is getting to the coil. The actual
voltage will depend on several things such as the resistance of the points (if
you're using them) and the position of the ignition switch and also whether
the engine is running.
If you have a Pertronix, that will be different.