<VV> Trying to get my bearings....

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed Feb 9 06:35:41 EST 2005

At 06:16 hours 02/08/2005, Songs by Steve wrote:
>Hi, groupies,
>

>Well, the other day, I was driving my '62, and I heard what sounded like
>just may have, possibly, could have been. the beginning of some bearing
>noise coming from the LR wheel.  So, I'm trying to get my bearings on the
>situation. really!   I've seen a few bearings on Ebay. mostly NOS of the
>"riveted type".  I've also read in Clark's that Riveted NOS bearings should
>be re-greased. does this mean they have to be dissassembled?.

Yes.   But let your heard remain untroubled and strong, it's easy to
do.   The rivets are there to keep the bearing from coming apart in the
box, not to maintain any structural integrity.    When installed in the
swingarm, the mounting hardware keeps it together and tight etc and the
rivets are redundant.

Or, for the sake of argument, a couple of large pop rivets can be installed
and all will be well.

>Any recommendations on bearings?  Does anyone have any available?  I've seen
>the ones at Clark's. $250-$300 per bearing for new ones.  I also realize
>that they're out there occasionally on Ebay.  I'm sure  that some of youze
>in the VV community have something to say or recommend on this topic, or
>maybe, a set of bearings that you know you will never need!

Also...   Don't be afraid of picking up a used but known good bearing and
axle assy...   many parts cars have sacrificed axles w/bearings to the
refurbish crowd.   It's as easy to dismantle and regrease a used bearing as
it is to do a NOS bearing and you won't have to press it onto an
axle.    This remains an option and a workable solution should the vendors
be out of bearings at the moment etc. or the bucks are frowning at the
going rate of a NOS bearing.

It's six of one, a half dozen of the other.    The new bearing will cost ya
but you will know it's good.    The used bearing might be pot luck unless
you know just where it came from and can inspect closely before you buy it
but it's gonna be way cheap compared to the NOS one which will still need
repacking anyway.

Maybe it might be a good idea to try repacking the suspect bearing
currently in the car to see if your complaint diminishes.    Then you'll
have a little more time to ponder locating another bearing... and you'll
have acquired some experience cleaning and repacking an early Vair rear
axle bearing.

tony..