Primer/Sealer/Gloss was RE: <VV> Old rims question.

James Davis jld@wk.net
Thu Feb 10 03:22:52 EST 2005

Unless you work fast in a climate controlled, shop that is the way to
go.  Almost all primers, except the urethanes and epoxies are porous.  In
the typical situation, they absorb enough moisture in 48 hours so that
paint bubbling is just a matter of time.  Sealers are usually acrylic and I
would not mix systems.  With nude metal, I shoot it with two thin coats of
self etching primer, then cover it with a medium coat of urethane
primer-sealer.  Bondo sticks well and you can take your time. I have gone
as long four years between an epoxy primer and final coat with no ill
effects.  If you don't have a Hobby Air respirator system for urethane,
then use a mask and epoxy primer.  Just don't spray epoxy then the
temperature is below 60 degrees and wait about a week before the
Bondo.  Most fillers are porous so seal then as soon as you can.  I use a
rattle can of clear and sand it off before the final blocking.  That way
you can take your time and do it in widely separated stages.   "Metal to
Metal" is the only non porous body filler I know of.  In the DuPont primer
line, the self-etch is Varaprime, the urethane is Uro, and the epoxy is
Colar.  Come to think of my Rampside tailgate has been in Colar for almost
15 years and no rust.
Jim Davis