<VV> Help with reverse

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu Feb 10 03:51:14 EST 2005

<snip>Much to my chagrin, upon starting it and moving it for the first time
under
its own power, I found first, second, third, and fourth gears... but no
reverse.  <unsnip>

While others have mentioned the very common problem of shifter-slop or
misalignment causing your issue, there's another problem that was present in the
61-3 transmission: The roll-pin that holds the reverse shift fork falls out,
preventing the engagement of reverse.  This was corrected in 64-5 transmissions.
I'd take the shift coupler off and use a #1 phillips screwdriver to operate
the transmission's shifter rod.  Starting from a Neutral position (mid-way
in/out) you want hard CCW (you will feel the reverse detent spring) and then push
in to engage reverse.  Try moving the car.  If you don't get reverse, the pin
has probably fallen out.  I don't know if it's possible to fix this while the
trans is in the car - it may be.  If you want to install a 64-5 trans, they are
a direct replacement.  The 64-5 trans appears to be identical, but takes a 14
spline input shaft (and the matching larger seal in the diff snout) The 64-5
car trans will have tapped holes for the throttle bellcrank and will likely
have a back-up light switch.  If you find one without tapped holes or a
provision for a back-up switch, that's an FC trans.; it's gear ratios are identical to
your 62 trans (low first, wide 2-3 gap).  You probably want the close ratio
car trans.  If you do find an FC trans, please let me know, I'm looking for one
:)
Craig Nicol