<VV> Gas in Oil ..... Revisited

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 01:00:53 EST 2005

I was at Claypool's one time for some (various) odds and ends...  Anyway,
the engine compartment is open (and has been for a while).  Neither me (the
student) nor Larry (the guru) noticed anything about the pump.  It just so
happened that MB (Mary Beth) came out to tell Larry something just about the
same time we started the car. I think it might have been that dinner was
ready.

MB (the mechanics wife) noticed that the fuel pump was leaking.  OK, no
problem.  Ha Ha...  I tightened the screws for the cover - still leaking.
Larry goes upstairs (stock room) for a pump and installs it.  Takes like 10
minutes when you know what you are doing.  Guess what - the BRAND NEW - off
the shelf GM pump leaks - even worse than the one we (he) just took off.
Now guess what...   that was the last one in stock.

So, 45 minutes later, Larry comes back with 2 or 3 new pumps.  He did not
tell me his source and even if I knew, I would not blab it all over VV.  So,
another 10 minute swap out - this one might have only been 8 minutes,
because now he was PO'd and dinner was getting cold.  Anyway, thankfully,
the 2nd new pump was OK.

What did I learn.  1 - how to change a pump in a hurry.  2 - even a "brand
new" one can leak!

BTW - this was probably a dozen years or more ago.  There was a time (now
past) when bad pumps were being produced.  Still, if you bought one at a
swap meet or the like - maybe it has been sitting on the shelf for longer
than you think, be sure to check it after install to be sure you do not have
a leaker.

The new ones (today's) are JF!  Right, Lon?

Later, JR