<VV> RE: 1st Convention attended

Joel Rushworth gwydionjhr@shaw.ca
Fri Feb 11 04:24:14 EST 2005

My first convention attended would be....

PORTLAND 2005!

I've been waiting 6 years for this.  So have a lot of other Canucklehead
'vair owners.  We're comin' down in force!  Hide your daughters and your
liquor!

Regards,
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of
UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 2:50 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> RE: 1st Convention attended

That would be Tahoe 1999!

I had just assembled "Immortal Vair"  from the junkyard [salvaged title]
with
all Ultra parts, save the mechanical fuelpump [ try as I did..no Ultras
aroundand no one would trade a NEW for a good tested ULTRA  one].  It was
"sparkled"  by 6 different mfg.'s  sparkplugs...all correct and USED.....out
of my buds
trash bucket!  One cylinder head, 110,  had had a thermister added.....but
unfortunately the drill went into the chamber!..BUT  it was FREE!!  a little
valve lapping....3 qts. of ATF  for the 1st 2,000 miles and "the under 25
test" [
 my 25 yr. old son drove it for a week]  and a oil /filter change...and I
was
off!

We left late in the afternoon and drove 300 miles thru L A, over the
Grapevine [ 1st time the temp light illuminated...it wasn't pinging..so I
slowed down
a little and kept driving!] all the while with the engine buzzing at 4200rpm
/80-85 mph, as my friend's 63/4  had 3.27's and I had 3.89s

. A check the next morning showed all was well.....

Now were headed into the Sierras..I'm in my prime!  ggg  Pulled into Tahoe
at
3pm after passing a gaggle of Vair "look at me " ducks going 30 mph downhill
out of Monitor Pass..what a waste of a good handling car!

As always...knowing many already...meeting all the NEW  people [ V V  mainly
], working with Kevin Wilsson on his Sprint and  assisting a customer of Ed
Corson's whose powdercoated trans [  had to ream out the countershaft hole
get it to fit] was allowing the CS[?] to slip forward and loose a gear or 2.
After Ed  inspected it and found the problem...we added the ULTRA  CS
retainer
[ a piece of wood between the trans and mount to hold the shaft back!]

But the highlight of the week was the V V  meeting......Watching a certain
person introduce themselves....commenting on my  "obvious absence"  and the
look on their face when after another 100 people had done the intro..It was
my
turn!  ggg

Then after the AX  on Sat.  I took off alone down 395 [110 in the desert] ,
friends had left earlier, and  recorded 34 mpg [ no tools /spares,
etc.].....next day..back home it was down 2 qts. of oil in 1500 miles...

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V