<VV> Engine rebuild-real corvair content

Christopher Ziebell cmzaustin@netscape.net
Sat Feb 12 03:59:34 EST 2005

I am doing a very expensive and very painstaking complete rebuild of my
1965 monza vert.  While it has not been my goal to throw away any money
on the project, I am not cutting any corners either.  I want this car
done perfectly.

Currently, the drive train is with a rebuilder who specializes in
corvairs and who seems to come highly recommended by people on this
list.  He has provided me with a written estimate.  I understand and
approve of the majority of the items on the list, but am struggling with
one line item:

Overhaul engine complete (out of car)
(Includes valve job - both heads)
(Parts not included above: pistons, valves, valve guides, cam & gear).

For this, he has quoted $620-680 for parts and $1980-2160 for labor,
which I am not disputing.  I guess my question is, if I am rebuilding
the entire rest of the car to brand new, should I also have him put in
new pistons, valves, valve guides, cam, and/or gear?  My goals are to
drive this car for pleasure on my days off and perhaps occasionally to
other towns for car shows or just a pleasant sunday drive, and to have
the car last another 40years or more.  Is it foolish not to replace
whatever I can while he has it all apart?  I keep hearing stories here
about piston heads breaking and valve guides getting dropped.  It seems
to me these might be things that wear out and therefore should be changed.

Thanks

Chris