Subject: <VV> convertible question

Robert Hawley iamrgh@charter.net
Sat Feb 12 06:07:35 EST 2005

You wrote:I am picking up my first convertible tomorrow - a 64 Monza - and I
need to ask
the first of many questions.  Is there a secret to folding the top without
damaging the window?  Any other tidbits of information would be appreciated.

Howdy Bob
    Congratulations on your new Corvair!  Wisdom from past BB talks on this
subject involves keeping the window clean before dropping the top to avoid
scratches.  Some have suggested using a towel between the window as it folds
and others say that the towel will leave an impression on the plastic of the
window.  Cleanliness seems to be the key that I observe and I have not had
problems.  Do make sure not to let the top material get pinched by the frame
mechanism as it folds (manual or power) or you may have holes to deal with.
Also, it is recommended NOT to use products like Armorall, just clean with a
mild soap and water.  Warm weather is better for folding the top and
especially attaching the boot, though some like to test their heaters in
cooler weather by going au naturel.  Whatever you do - enjoy your Corvair.
Cheers, Bob Hawley  (1963 Spyder conv)