<VV> Problems getting Paint in N. California

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 12 23:56:42 EST 2005

I'm a DIY type of person on most things.  I did my own prep work and paint
on my Greenbrier back in 1990-1991.  The paint I used was PPG Catalyzed
Arcylic Enamel.  The paint was easy to apply, almost as easy as acrylic
laquer.  I did it in my garage and since flash off time was about 15
minutes, I didn't have to worry too much about debris like dust and bugs
settling on it and sticking.  Fast forward 14 years.  The Greenbrier's paint
has held up well for being mainly outside but it is time once again for a
paint job.  I went into the local paint dealer and times have changed.  I
asked for Acrylic Enamel and you could have heard a pin drop.  The audacity
of me to ask for the dreaded Arcylic Enamel, in California of all places.  I
was informed that Arcylic Enamel was no longer available and that Low Voc
Urethane was now the coating of choice.  I've used Urethane before but have
found that its slow drying time makes it hard to use for the DIY'er without
access to a paint booth and oven.  It literally remains tacky for an hour or
more.

I decided that maybe it was time to give the job back to the professionals,
so I shopped around for a Autobody shop.  I was turned away from all but one
in town.  No one seems to want to paint an entire car anymore.  It's all
about collision work now.  One shop I was referred to said that they would
take on the job.  I told them that I would bring it in stripped, without any
bumpers, windows, trim etc.  The body is straight, no dents.  The paint is
still okay but has lost it's shine.  It has a minimal number of stone chips
and door dings.  The quote was $6,500 !!!!   Could be higher once they get
into it.  I couldn't believe it!  I realize there is some prep work involved
but come on.  I even offered to prep it myself and asked it that would lower
the price.  They said it wouldn't because they'd have to go over it again
anyway.

So now I'm stuck.  I wish I could get my hands on some PPG Acrylic Enamel so
I could just do my own job but if it truly has been outlawed in California,
I may not have any other options.  I just can't see spending $6500 on it.  I
realize labor costs but that seems a little high.

Anyone have any ideas or a shop that does good work at a reasonable price in
the Bay Area?  I don't want an Earl Schieb or Macco job but one shouldn't
have to pay $6,500 for a decent job.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw