Subject: <VV> convertible question

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 13 00:11:09 EST 2005

My method is similar to yours except that I never unzip the rear window.
Instead, I carefully put a curved fold in it - making sure there are no
tight bends or creases.

I think the only time I would have the window out is on a really hot (bright
sun) day (like a Texas day) and the skin is turning red.  I think this has
only happened once in over 10 yrs.  Put the top up - to get shade - and the
window down, to get breeze.

ONE OTHER point, and having to do with the boot.  LMs have a track behind
the rear seat where a rubber piece (sewn to the boot) slides in.  Not sure
about EMs, the might have snaps there?

Anyway, I have an (lets just call it) aftermarket (because someone may be
monitoring) boot.  The rubber piece was sewn to the boot in such a way that
it is not centered.  As a result, there is "extra" rubber on the passenger
side and not enough rubber to come all the way to the end of the slot on the
driver side.  So, the end of the metal U channel is not protected by the
rubber on that end.  The very FIRST time that I used this boot, the end of
the channel wore a hole in the top pad on that (driver) side.  It was a
virtually new pad, but you'd have to remove and reinstall the top in order
to replace it - so I live with it.

Now, I use a towel (oversized - one towel, but not as big as a beach towel
and dark blue like the car) between the window and the top fabric and front
bow when top is down.  I use about half the width of the towel for that
purpose and there is enough left to fold it forward and wedge it into the
space at the end if the U channel.  The protects the pad from further
damage.  Anyone who has an aftermarket boot on a LM should look at this to
see if the rubber fills the channel.  If not, you probably ought to do
something about it.  Now, if you have no boot in the slot, I suspect that
the same problem would occur.

Later, JR