<VV> Corvair vs Chrysler

Arjay Morgan n3lkz@yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 01:42:41 EST 2005

Hello All:
I came across an interesting Corvair Vs Chrysler story
on a Mopar website http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html
that I hadn't heard before. Thought it might be of
interest to the rest of the VV mavens.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert
===================

The word got out among Chrysler bigwigs that the slant
six was going to be very effective. When it was
announced that Daytona was going to have a Compact Car
class for their races, all three major auto companies
started designing variations of their eligible
compacts for the race. Ed Cole was head of engineering
and research and a bit overconfident about their
Corvair. He offered to bet one of the higher ups at
Chrysler that the Chevys would dominate the Daytona
Compact race. George Hubner, Director of Research at
Chrysler, said "I'll take that bet." All of a sudden,
the research department had an infusion of a couple of
million dollars to find ways to make the Valiant
faster. They developed a legal Daytona car with the
hyper pak engine and various other modifications, such
as thinner, lighter glass and sent them down. They
dominated the race, taking something like first
through fifth place with however many cars they sent
down, and Ed Cole lost his bet.