<VV> Re: Engine block codes/ Assy date decoding

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue Feb 15 18:32:25 EST 2005

You bring up some very interesting points.  Your description of
engine/body/and final assy dates is actually quite parallel to Corvettes though.  Corvette
bodys were built off-site by Chevrolet and A.O. Smith, ahead of need.  Later
they were mated with a chassis and engine and the body tag was re-stamped to
include the final assy date.

If you look in Bob's book, he has a photo of his body plate.  Notice the
mis-aligned "09A" in the upper left?  This would be the final assy date in a
Corvette (the tags are basically identical.  In the Corvette world, this would be
August 9. In another portion of the book, Bob states that he bought his new '62
early in the fall, this statement is consistent with use of the Corvette
final assy decoding.  Also note that the "09A" is mis-aligned, just as they are in
Corvettes, due to adding this info to an already existing tag.  I also note
that Bob's example doesn't have a "body date" but rather a sequence number,
this is consistent with Corvettes.  I can't speak with any authority, but there
are straight parallels to the well documented Chevrolet Corvette system.  I'm
all ears though, and this weekend, when I'm 3000 miles closer to my library, my
'65 Corvette and my 65,6,7 Corvairs, I'll do some more checking.
I think we are learning something here.
Craig Nicol