<VV> Re: Engine block codes/ Assy date decoding

corsa corsa@comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 21:37:07 EST 2005

Craig
As far as I can determine, the Fisher bodytag is stamped by Fisher at the
time when the body is built. The tag list options that require special
operations on the Fisher side. The bodytags are not restamped by Chevrolet.
This of course could be different with Corvettes since the bodies are built
by Chevrolet.
Here is how it was explained to me:

Fisher had plants adjacent to EVERY Chevy, Olds, BOP, Cad etc. CAR assembly
plant. Sometimes they were in separate buildings, connected by a conveyor;
sometimes the buildings were physically attached, and sometimes they were
under the same roof but divided by a wall, as in Van Nuys. In all cases,
though, they were autonomous financially and in management from the car
division (Chevrolet, Buick etc.) "side" of the plant, though they had to
work together intimately. Each body delivered to the car division was bought
from Fisher by the division, if accepted. Any repairs due to Fisher goofs
were charged back to the Fisher side. There were also certain assembly
operations that were done by Fisher for Chevy, and vice versa, but I won't
get into those now.

            Fisher was only involved with car bodies. Chevy & GMC truck
bodies were designed and built by Chevrolet. And Fisher didn't do the
Corvette body...again, it was entirely a Chevy body. Also, there was no
Fisher Body in Canada, and no Fisher plant at Oshawa. The Corvairs were
built entirely under one roof. Sure, the cars had Fisher on the sill plate
since they were designed by Fisher, and Fisher liaison engineers spent time
in Oshawa, but the bodies were built by GM of Canada.

Regards

Bigwave Dave