<VV> Re: Your input welcomed

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed Feb 16 14:04:27 EST 2005

If the flywheel in your car is still a riveted one, either replace it with a
bolted one (I like Dale Manufacturing's product) or remove the rivets in
yours and bolt it up yourself (Clark's sells a kit for doing this, as do
other vendors). SOME people like solid flywheels - the one I had/used caused
vibration in my engine that I was unwilling to put up with (they're heavier
than conventional flywheels).
     Information of the kind you're looking for (a LOT of that, plus more)
is in Bob Helt's Classic Corvair, which is very up-to-date. Consider
ordering one from bobhelt@aol.com.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Garth Stapon
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:20 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re: Your input welcomed

Gents:

Your input on the following would be appreciated.

I have a 65 - 4 door with 110 hp - with dual exhaust.

I am looking for input on the following parts.

1) Bolt in (easy to install for a layman) electronic ignition
2) Electric fuel pump with motion switch that kills power to the pump in the
event of an accident
3) Brake line that runs from the front to the rear of the car (the one in
the tunnel) - All others have been replaced
4) Is there an easy way to lubricate the rear wheel bearings short of
complete disassembly?
5) Is a transmission cooler for a PG available? Is one necessary?
6) Who makes the best ignition wire kit? (does not have to be NOS style)
7) I am considering the installation of  a set of front buckets that
incorporate a shoulder belt in the seat. Has anyone done this? If yes, what
kind of car / year did they come from. (The seat from a Sebring covert comes
to mind)
8) I need a clutch kit for my 65 - 4 speed.  When I take it apart, what
pieces should I replace. (i.e. pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel
ect.)
(I seem to remember something about a bolted flywheel - Is this necessary?)
Thanks in advance
Garth
LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE!