Safer Convertibles Re: <VV> 40 year old convert - Unsafe at Any Speed?

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Wed Feb 16 18:53:09 EST 2005

Garth,
    I agree with you that the lack of a hard roof does make the convertible
less safe than the hardtop models.  However, I believe the answer is to put in
a sturdy rollbar.  In fact, NECC events require that convertibles have a roll
bar in order to run on the track, even in time trials which are NOT races.  As
far a hard tops being the answer, a recent even at Lime Rock showed that roll
bars are safer for ANY Corvair on the track.  The driver suffered a tire
blowout at a critical point in the course and rolled the LM coupe over onto its
roof.  The roof was collapsed into the top of the rollbar with the sturdy
rollbar keeping the roof from being depressed any further.  The driver crawled out
through the window completely unscathed since he had been safely secured into a
racing harness and had a racing helmet on.  This, to my knowledge, was the
first time in 30 years of Corvairs at Lime Rock that a Corvair had gone over
onto its roof.  Other times Corvairs had simply spun out, as I myself managed to
do twice during one Lime Rock outing.
    So to feel safer in your convertible, add a roll bar!
    Frank "slow learner" Burkhard

In a message dated 2/14/05 11:08:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,