<VV> Tech Guide, was Rear wheel bearing

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu Feb 17 18:11:50 EST 2005

Michael, I assume you just don't have the Tech Guide, since you haven't seen
the article.
     In keeping with your suggestion, the Tech Guide (including this
article) is replete with negative instructions, although not necessarily
exactly the ones Tony proposes. As a former technical-writer-by-trade
myself, I must say I have a good deal of admiration not only for the Tech
Guide but for Bob Helt's Classic Corvair, and much other Corvair literature
including (brace yourself) the original Shop Manual, much of which was
written before the subject technology had received the millions upon
millions of miles of use and wear that it had by the time, say, Classic
Corvair was written.
     Get the Tech Guide - it's useful even beyond discussing things on VV.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of goofyroo@excite.com
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:38 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Cc: hmlinc@sbcglobal.net; tonyu@roava.net
Subject: Re: <VV> Rear wheel bearing greasing options / observations

I haven't seen the article.  With the panoply of things that can go wrong
with this procedure, I'm wondering whether the article was written in a
purely positive fashion (do this, then this) or if it included negative
instructions, too (don't do this or that along the way).

For economy of space, most manuals are written positively.  This works as
long as the readers have similar skill-sets and equipment, and know not to
improvise.

The Tech Guides strike me as the sort of book that ought to be written with
negative instructions included, seeing as how it's a collaborative,
from-the-ground-up project and intended for people who tend to make things
up as they go.  Corvair owner-repairmen strike me as (mostly) backyarders
along with some pros with a variety of tools and knowledge at our disposal.

Michael Smith (technical writer by trade)
Dallas